Monday, November 15, 2010

Undergrad, why do you want more money?

Today, Zach and I both received letters from our undergraduate college, that were basically veiled (not really) attempts at getting the both of us to give them some money. Now, I know that all colleges do this and I know we weren't singled out or anything, but ugh. I'm currently drowning in student loan debt from both undergrad and law school, I (well, the government, my parents and some scholarships- yup, go ahead and hate me) paid a lot of money to go to my college of choice, so I feel like they should wait more than one year before asking me for a donation. Maybe five years? I don't know, but I don't like it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE my undergrad college. I met Zach there, I had some of the best professors I've ever met there, I had a generally amazing time there from the academics to the student life to the fun times outside of school. I miss it a lot, and I genuinely feel as if I got an amazing education there from (some) truly gifted people.

I would not mind giving back to my college if I had money. I know that there is no way for them to know that I have no money, but I feel like they should wait perhaps five years before hitting up their alums for donations. That gives people more time to finish whatever graduate school they decided to attend, or to get a job in this economy, and perhaps they will be more receptive to giving their money to the college. Like I said, if I had a great job and not a ton of student loan debt, I would definitely donate. My undergrad college was amazing, and I'd go back if I could.

On to happier things. I just made a pan of delightful brownies from scratch, and I think I will go enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment